Sunday, March 29, 2009

Awesome April Events

So many awesome things happen in April and I want to be sure you know about some of the things I'm exited about.

First, April is Script Frenzy! If you've been reading this blog for awhile, you'll remember that National Novel Writing Month happens in November every year. Script Frenzy is hosted by the same wonderful group of people. In April, adults are challenged to write a 100-page script in 30 days. For kids 12 and under, or classes of students in kindergarten through 12th grade, there is a Young Writers Program complete with a writer's resources section that teaches you how to write a script. The site even offers safe, kid-friendly chat rooms.
I will not be participating in Script Frenzy but I will be working on a new novel in April while some of the members of my writing group work on scripts. I will set a much smaller word-count goal for April than I did in November but I will post a word counter in the sidebar so you can keep track of my progress if you're interested. I hope you'll write along with me!

Second, April is National Poetry Month! I urge you to check out 30 Poets/30 Days at GottaBook where Gregory K. will poet a new poem for kids everyday of April. The poems are all previously unpublished. The poets who are participating include Jon Scieszka (who wrote Seen Art and Math Curse, which you've read about here) and Jane Yolen. The celebration begins on April 1 with a poem by the former Children's Poet Laureate, Jack Prelutsky.
If you want to write some poems of your own, you might consider looking to art for inspiration!

And finally, April is the first full month of spring! Warm weather is on its way. Make sure to get outside and enjoy it! If you live in the D.C. area, the National Cherry Blossom Festival is underway. The peak bloom period is expected to begin on April 1 and continue through April 4, but the cherry trees have already begun to blossom. There will be a parade in the city on Saturday, April 4 and there are sure to be tons of people enjoying the cherry trees.
I took the above photo last year. I'm not sure if I'll be able to see the cherry blossoms this year, but I am certainly going to try!

What does any of this have to do with art? Well, script writing is an artform, poetry is an artform, and if you take photos at the National Cherry Blossom Festival, photography is an artform, too.

I can't wait for April!

4 comments:

Greg Pincus said...

Thanks for the link! And I love seeing art mix in with... well... with everything else in the classroom, so thanks for posting your ideas and projects.

Jessica said...

Thanks for stopping by. This is a fantastic event you put together and I know my readers will be interested to read the poetry you post throughout the month.

Jessica's Mom said...

And speeking of April events - Don't forget we kick of the month of April with JESSICA'S BIRTHDAY!

Jessica said...

Thanks, Mom...