Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Pairing Paintings and Poems Revisted

Yes! I did get to teach my pairing paintings and poems lesson! I thought it went very well. I began by displaying Rousseau's Surprised! (shown above) and brainstorming with the class everything we saw in the painting. Then we decided the main idea of the painting.

Though I had found a poem that matched this painting pretty well, I decided it was a little out of reach of some of my students. I wrote a poem (at the end of the post) to go along with the painting and we read it together. We compared the poem with the painting and looked for common details.

When I asked the students to complete this activity on their own with a different painting and poem pair, they were able to do so with little difficulty. The kids enjoyed the activity in part because I gave each student an individual print out of his or her painting (in color!) and poem. The students were excited to get to hold and study the paintings up close.

I recommend this activity. It was a hit with my class. If you would like a copy of the worksheet I used, email me and I'd be happy to send one along.

My tiger poem:

Tiger

A hungry tiger in the rain

crouched in windblown grass

and growled

and scowled

and bared her teeth

and waited for prey to pass.


Soundlessly she prowled

as lightning lit the sky.

Then thunder crashed

and forward she dashed,

determined not to let her prey slip by.


15 comments:

PeterParis said...

The idea was good ... and it worked! Fine!

(Happy to see you back!)

Michelle | Sticker Printing said...

Its a jungle out there and tigers and other wild animals are hiding are on the prowl. Love it.

PeterParis said...

I thought you were back to blogging? Not quite yet? Too busy?

Leslie said...

So glad to hear the lesson went well. I am hoping to do use this during our summer class. I'm not sure how to email you though for the worksheets.

Jessica said...

Leslie-

Just send an email to artsmarts4kids AT gmail.com.

There is only one worksheet. Depending on your kids, you might want to split it into two.

joven said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Just Me said...

Thank you for the inspiration!!! Here is one of favorite places for poetry inspiration:

www.poetryfoundation.org

Also, check out my blog if you get chance. I just put together a new Art room and would love some feedback. cooperating4boys.com

Thanks!

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Tyger, Tyger
burning bright
in the forest
of the night

we used this poem with this picture in english last year

Anonymous said...

Tyger, Tyger
burning bright
in the forest
of the night

we used this poem with this picture in english last year

Stethoscope said...

The idea of pairing a painting to a poem is very creative and artistic. Children love visual things and as well as rhyming sounds, so it's not a surprised if this will really work on them. I actually love to look at the painting and read the poem too. Awesome!

1985 Chevrolet Monte Carlo AC Compressor said...

Hi, cool post. I have been thinking about this topic,so thanks for sharing. I will probably be subscribing to your blog. Keep up great writing!!!

Anonymous said...

Great pleasure in discovering this blog!This was real special!
Sample Friend Thank you Letter

Anonymous said...

hellooooo !! this is ace and can't wait to try it with me class!!! could you possibly email me the worksheet that you used?? i'd be very grateful! thanks my email is kez159@hotmail.co.uk :)

vancouver kiddo said...

Great idea in combining paintings and poems. Were glad to know that teaching there went well and were still looking forward for more interesting post of yours. Thanks!

Color Lesson Plans said...

Lovely poem for kids!!!