Friday, April 4, 2008

The Dot by Peter H. Reynolds

I know I’ve posted a lot of book reviews this week. I read a lot of art related books in the last few days, what can I say? But this will be the last one for a while. Promise.

I have already recommended one of Peter H. Reynolds’ books, Ish. I found out later that Ish is the follow-up to the book I am recommending today, The Dot. I loved Ish, but I think The Dot is even better.

Vashti doesn’t think she can draw. She doesn’t think she could ever create a work of art that someone would want to frame and hang on the wall. She definitely never imagined that she would star in an art show. But her teacher helps her to find the artist inside. It all begins with just one dot.

This picture book, for children 4-8 years of age, is illustrated in typical Reynolds ink, watercolor, and tea. I love that Vashti’s own artwork stands out from the background and even the people in the illustrations.

Best of all, Vashti’s story inspires confidence in even the most unsure artists.

Return to main page.

No comments: