Thursday, November 22, 2007

Jen Stark's Paper Sculpture

Happy Thanksgiving! And since today, I’m assuming, won’t be a big crafting day (at least here in the U.S.), I thought I’d post a link to a really cool website I found recently. The artist is Jen Stark and I love her paper sculpture. Click here to flip through her gallery. What I find so stunning about this art is that it is quite simple but looks extremely complex.

Also, you could create your own colorful, 3D paper art (
like this piece) with just a pair of scissors, some glue, and craft paper. Cut your top sheet of paper into a strange shape. Cut the next sheet into a similar shape that is slightly larger. Continue with as many sheets as you’d like to use—five, ten, twenty-five.

If you want a shape to stick out of the center, you’ll have to do some measuring, but the basic idea is that the shape you cut in the top sheet should be the largest and each shape below should get progressively smaller. Make sure to leave one side of the shape attached or you won’t be able to fold it up. A craft knife would make this step easier but you’ll need an adult to help you.

When you’ve finished all the cutting, line up the papers so they look the way you want, then use a glue stick to attach the sheets to each other.

Voila!

If you try this project, leave me a comment about your experience or send me an email with a photo of your creation and I’ll post it here.


Return to main page.

NaNoWriMo Word Count:
Check yesterday’s meter; I didn’t write a single word today. I have extremely high hopes for the long weekend, though.

Tune in tomorrow for an excerpt!

2 comments:

Peter said...

I will look tomorrow!

Jessica said...

The excerpt has been posted. Maybe not to best choice but I haven't read the novel yet myself! More to come. Thanks for the support.