Thursday, December 4, 2008

Create Your Own Striped Christmas Cards

Today you’ll use the method you learned yesterday to make beautiful, handmade Christmas cards that your friends and family will love.

Supplies Needed:

Heavy Paper
Washable Paints
Paintbrush
Spray Bottle
Cookie Sheet
Tape
Pencil
Colored papers
Stamps
Markers
Glitter
Tape a sheet of heavy paper to your cookie sheet. Use your paint brush to dab blobs of red and green paint across the top of your paper.

Set your spray bottle to mist and sprits the paint with water until it runs down the page. I found that the red paint overpowered the green paint, so I added more dots of green and continued to spray.
Let your paper dry.

Now for the card making. I used blank note cards but you can use heavy paper, folded in half if you don’t have any blank note cards.

What you do next is completely up to you. Use your imagination to combine your materials and see what you come up with.
I began by tracing the shape of my note card onto my striped paper. I cut it out and then cut a window out of its center. I then cut a square of green construction paper and used a stamp to print a stocking in the middle. I sprinkled the stocking with glitter while it was still wet, then tapped off the extra. Finally, I glued all the pieces to the front cover of my note card.
If you have trouble cutting perfect straight lines out of the middle of paper, try cutting abstract shapes instead. Notice my green card with the snowflake and the Christmas tree.
If you’re careful with your striped paper, you can make five or more cards using the same sheet of paper.

Write your holiday wishes inside your cards, slide them into envelopes, and mail them to your friends and family. They will certainly smile at your thoughtfulness.

More Christmas card ideas to come next week. Check back tomorrow for Fantastic Fiction Friday.

Return to main page.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are cute cards! I also like Morris Louis's work. I hadn't seen it before. I enjoy reading your site. Gives me lots of new ideas and teaches me about artists I didn't know about! Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

I just changed my settings so commenters don't need gmail accounts.

Tell your mom thanks, and she is adorable. Congratulations to her - that's fantastic, and my parents are headed for the big 3-0 in 2009 as well (April 21). :-)

Jessica said...

I'm glad you like the cards, crafter5. I really like Morris Louis' work, too. It's nice when you can work art into something like Christmas card making.

Anonymous said...

Wow, just what I needed! I was looking for Christmas craft ideas that my kids can do on their own. Handmade Christmas cards are the best. Thanks!